I am an avid babywearer. Mina loves being carried and often sleeps best when she’s on me. If we’re out and she gets fussy, I just pop her right in and she’s good to go. Babywearing is a great way to bond with a baby and build that security and attachment. But also a great way to multitask and get some work done!
Here’s a list of the many benefits to babywearing for both mama and baby.
I have 3 different carriers: the Stokke MyCarrier (front and back model), the Baby K’Tan wrap, and the Happy Baby soft structured carrier. Of the 3, the HAPPY BABY CARRIER is my favorite and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. Continue reading for details:
THE STOKKE MYCARRIER
When I was pregnant, my husband and I tested out gear at BuyBuy Baby and picked the Stokke MyCarrier. I liked it because the racer back straps fit my narrow frame better than the ErgoBaby 360 carrier. I tried the Baby Bjorn carriers, but preferred Stokke because it seemed more secure. At the time, I thought “the more harnesses, straps, and buckles, the better!” – figuring baby would be more secure and that’s all that mattered. Once baby came, I soon realized the Stokke was a bit too bulky and rough for my newborn. It felt a bit cumbersome and there was too much going on. Mina seemed okay in the carrier, but she didn’t look too comfortable. Fast forward 4-5 months, and this carrier is great for front facing strolls with older babies. However, once Mina got heavier (at 9-10 months and about 20 lbs), the carrier became uncomfortable rather quickly, after about 15 minutes of wear. My shoulders and back started aching, but I also don’t have the strongest shoulders, they’re pretty narrow and thin, so you might have a different experience. Here’s a video on how to use the carrier.
THE BABY K’TAN WRAP
I decided I wanted the complete opposite of the Stokke – a wrap carrier that’s super soft and tightly wraps baby against me – but I wasn’t too keen on the wraps that I had to maneuver around my body and tie into a knot. It didn’t feel quite secure for me (even though I knew they were), and I didn’t want to deal with the hassle. That’s when I found the Baby K’Tan wrap, which is SO easy to use! You can watch these videos on how to use the wrap. Mina loved this carrier. She would stop fussing and her face would light up every time I brought it out. We primarily used it from 2-5 months. It was perfect for snuggles, walks, and nap time. It looks a little loose in the pictures because Mina is 10 months in those and her weight brings her down a bit, but it’s actually very snug. If you have a newborn to 6 month baby, they will be close to your chest and nice and cuddly.
- Much easier to use than traditional open ended wraps
- Baby is snug and secure
- Fabric is soft but also sturdy
- Rolls up compactly, can easily fit in a diaper bag
- Cute gender neutral colors and designs
- One size fits one. They have various sizes (like a t-shirt) that you can choose from. If you and your partner are different sizes, you both can’t use the same carrier. It might be worth purchasing one for each of you since it’s relatively affordable.
- It does stretch out a little over time – I’d say after about 10 days of use. But just pop it in the washer and dryer and it’s good as new. You want to wash it often anyway because the baby tends to gnaw on the cloth and it gets soaked with drool.
Mina would easily fall asleep in the carrier for naps so we were always babywearing. But at a certain point, I wondered if there was a different carrier where I could transition her off of me after she fell asleep. That’s when the Happy Baby Carrier came into my life. And let me tell you…TRUE LOVE. It has all the benefits of a wrap, but with the added security of a structured carrier. We used it constantly for hours at a time and it was always very comfortable. My shoulders and back didn’t ache (other than the expected fatigue after carrying Mina for 2+ hours) and Mina was always so comfortable in it. Even at 10 months and 20 lbs, I could comfortably carry Mina for long stretches.
I LOVE this carrier so much. I can’t live without it. Here’s why:
- It’s a structured carrier that is lightweight and soft. Not bulky or heavy like many traditional carriers. Soft and snug like a wrap, but without the hassle!
- Super comfortable & easy to use! Just one main buckle around the waist and simple padded shoulder straps.
- Great for travel/airport! Doesn’t have any metal parts so you can walk through the metal detector with baby on (don’t go through the x-ray machine w/ baby). Easily folds in your diaper bag.
- You can easily breastfeed with baby in carrier! Just loosen the shoulder straps so baby is lower. There is also a hidden hood you can pull out to use as a cover.
- Can transition baby to bed/flat surface more easily without waking them up (nap transition)
- Comes in so many cute colors with new drops every season!
- It’s a small family-owned business with great customer service. I love supporting small businesses because they’re hustling to live out their dreams.
- They also have a private Facebook group where you can buy, sell and trade Happy Baby Carriers. Many limited edition and high demand colors come back on resale on this site. The owners also post updates and discount codes, although they are rare! For example, they had 15% off during Black Friday. which was first disclosed on the Facebook page, and then finally on their Instagram only a couple days before the sale.
If I had to choose between the 3, I would definitely pick the Happy Baby Carrier because it’s the best of both worlds. Let me know if you have any questions – always happy to help!